ABLETON BEGINNERS COURSE
With the advent of Ableton Live, musicians now have the ability to compose, produce, perform, and INVENT like never before. This software is the most powerful multi-purpose tool that music has ever seen.
Where previously we were instrumentalists or songwriters – we now have the tools and freedom to become sound designers, engineers of new instruments, unique live performers, and truly use our creativity to re-imagine how we make music. It’s all right here at our fingertips – and absolutely anything is possible.
8 WEEK ABLETON LIVE BEGINNER COURSE:
Designed to give beginner users of Ableton Live an immediate level of electronic music production ability; On completion of this course, students will have the confidence to create and finish simple tracks from start to finish in a reasonable timeframe.
Courses are taken from VICSEG New Futures in Coburg, in classes of 8-15 people. Start dates are regular, and run on Wednesday evenings from 7-930pm. This is a weekly course of eight 2.5 hour classes. Learning as a group is FUN – not only will you make friends and connections, but also learn a great deal from fellow students.
This is a comprehensive course that covers production, performance, and sound design techniques in Ableton Live, including:
- Techniques for beat making – both through audio and using MIDI
- Musical awareness and ear training: how to make your music sound good
- Simple but usable music theory that is easily understood by beginning musicians
- Recording and audio editing, sampling and resampling
- Session view/Arrangement View familiarity and understanding
- Understanding and using MIDI, software instruments, MIDI effects, MIDI mapping, and using controllers creatively
- Equalisation, compression and audio effects
- Automation of effects, sends and returns, and instrument parameters
- Composition, arrangement and songwriting
- Workflow techniques – produce faster, easier, and more reliably
- Performance in Ableton Live – Launching clips from Session View, and exporting stems for live performance
- Mixing techniques, and exporting finished tracks
Each week students export basic ‘tracks’ of current work, developing the habit and workflow of ‘finishing’ music. Each track will incorporate specific skills learned from across the course, ensuring techniques are well practiced, so that familiarity and confidence are guaranteed.
Consider participating even if you have been producing in Ableton Live for several years, and are not a complete beginner – there will be plenty of learning and extra hands-on experience for you to take away from this course, plus friends, connections and potential future collaborators gained through the class.
During the course students are guided through setting up Soundcloud and Splice accounts, so you have
places to both store and share your music online, plus have access to a fantastic sample library that
will immediately and dramatically boost the quality of your productions.
- Requirements: Students will need their own computer, quality headphones, and a working version of Ableton Live 9 or 10 (Standard or Suite versions recommended – however, this course is built to also accommodate users of Ableton Intro or Lite).
Next course dates:
May 29 – June 5, 12, 19, 26 – July 3, 10, 17
(Date change! You may have seen this course advertised as starting on May 8th – we are now kicking off on May 29th)
Rates: $695 for eight 2.5 hour sessions – significantly more affordable and more robust than any similar course available in Melbourne – most of which retail approx $1100 for 6 weeks.
The moment you commit to your learning and development, the journey begins – act now on your inspiration – your future self will be stoked.
THIS COURSE ALWAYS REACHES CAPACITY – So it is recommended to book early and secure your place.
REFERRAL DISCOUNTS: If you have a friend who would like to take part, and successfully registers – you get $50 cash back from your course fees. Get a friend involved! Learning as a team is a whole lot of fun.
Use the registration form above, make contact via firstname.lastname@example.org, or get in touch on 0449705424 to book your place in the next class
I also offer a free 30 minute consultation session if you would like to have an in-person chat about whether investing in Ableton Live is the right path for you and your music – feel free to get in touch and come visit me in my studio.
Group classes are held upstairs at VICSEG New Futures, 15 Munro St, Coburg